Friday 1 May 2009

Pennine Way

Last year I started planning a backpack along the PW. That was until I was waylaid with a problem with my right knee. This seems to have resolved itself but other non outdoors related events took precedence and got in the way. Then there was the incident where someone booked tickets for two weeks in the Picos de Europa this July. Well, said individual mentioned the PW at the weekend whilst we were enjoying a trundle along the Monsal Trail... I should be thinking about and planning the trip in July but the lure of that life long ambition is strong.

3 comments:

Martin Rye said...

Picos de Europa does sounds good. The Pennine Way was my best long walk. Do it Baz. Live the dream.

Worthing Wanderer said...

I used to live close to the Pennine Way (in Saddleworth) and used to often walk some of the bleaker parts between Todmorden and Edale. I can't tell you how many people foundered after the first day. Crowden Youth Hostel used to be packed with people who under-estimated its toughness.

If you want it bad enough it'll keep calling you though...

baz carter said...

I've walked the bit between Edale and William Clough a number of times now. And being cautious I'm not goiing to underestimate that first leg. I've a couple of things that should take some of the sting out of that first day however...