Saturday 13 September 2008

cookware evolution II

Scroll forward a decade and my stove of choice was a Trangia 27. I liked this cook set because it was a complete solution and simple to use. It packed nicely in the bottom of my rucksack with all the camping kit and, on top of that, all the climbing tat that I needed to carry as well. I reduced the weight of the stove by leaving out one pan, and replaced the fry pan lid with a non stick one.

It's worth pointing out that at the time I didn't have a car so had to rely on lifts from other club members. To save myself from carrying crippling loads and to ensure that me and my bag would fit in my lift's car, any kit I bought was low bulk and low weight. Before coming back to backpacking I was already pursuing a light is right philosophy to kit.

With maturity comes relationships, and with it the need to get a slightly larger pan set for cooking for two. And in the intervening decade, where before soup and a roll where sufficient, I'd become a damn fine cook and was keen to use my culinary skills in The Great Outdoors. I bought the larger Trangia 25, with a kettle and a non stick finish.


No comments: